Carbon Monoxide Detectors – the LAST line of defense

 Carbon Monoxide Detectors – the LAST line of defense.

“15-month-old girl saved family from carbon monoxide leak” was the headline in the Province News Paper this past week.

The article glosses over the fact that the poisonous exhaust gas came from their failing furnace. More to the point is how important it is to be getting annual service and safety checks, as strongly recommended by Fortis BC, and the GAS SAFETY BRANCH of BC. It is very fortunate that this family did not die; however, their message that everyone should get carbon monoxide detectors, while good advice, it misses that important primary step.

CO Detectors should be the last resort. Once it gets to the point where your carbon monoxide detector is triggered, it’s often too late for options like repair. This family now has an unplanned bill in the thousands of dollars for the total replacement of their furnace

Spending money on service like this one is avoided since it doesn’t produce obvious results like haircuts or grocery shopping. The truth is, your family has the option to become aware that the levels of carbon monoxide might be increasing long before they become dangerous. This is because flue gasses, one of the items that are checked during a service, can be acted upon long before they might vent into the home.

The most important message of the Province article should have been that annual safety checks on all your gas-fired appliances are necessary to keep them running safely and efficiently so this (or worse) doesn’t happen to you.

For more information on what an annual service and safety check actually entails email us with your questions.